Sunday, August 30, 2009

I won't lie, I don't see the overall goal. I don't have one. But I know that isn't the point. The goal isn't the goal. I know.

You told me, long ago, and many times. You relayed the message. You said, 'Let's build. Let's try.' I think you received that message from somewhere else long before you relayed it. It is funny, because I know you didn't have someone like yourself, you didn't have someone like I do, to relay the message to you. I guess maybe that is why it resonates so deeply within me. I guess why that, despite the lack of goal, the message is so meaningful. It wasn't given to you by someone else. You are not just repeating it to me. You taught me. You showed me. In that way, it isn't a relay at all. But, that isn't important.

I don't see the goal. In fact, I know there isn't one. I know that isn't a message you have received--not one that concerns you, or registers within you. But, it does with me. I received that message about the time you relayed your message to me--I learned them about the same time. I received two messages--one that didn't have a goal, and one that told me there isn't one.

For a long time those conflicted. On certain days, they still do.

But, for whatever reason, I can't stop wanting to show you that I got your's--your message. I did. I promise. I want to show you that you relaying it to me wasn't in vain.

I want to build. I want to try. I want to show you that struggle, and work, and good nature--that these things made it possible for you to relay the message to me and for me to share it with others. In this way, you are somewhat of an evangelist--an evangelist for the message with no goal.

I'm trying. I'm working. I promise. I'll show, and soon. But, thank you. Thank you for the relay. And thank you for giving what no one else gave you--for giving what you received from a place you can't name. I'm thankful.

No comments: