Wednesday, September 23, 2009

A Girl I Met

I met a girl today.

She ordered a gin and tonic from the bar. I ordered a Black Velvet.

She said, "Why did you order that?"

I said, "Because that was my nickname in high school."

She looked at me funny, forced a laugh, and said, "You are weird."

She then got real serious on me, real quick.

"So, I know you. I mean, I like you, don't get me wrong. But, I know you claimed to have been dating the 'words' before you started dating me. Or at least that is what people told me. I mean, what is all that about? That isn't normal, you know. I dated a guy who was bi once, but never anything like this."

I said, "Yeah."

. . . . . . . . . . .

She said, "Well?"

I said, "Well, you know. The words are unpredictable. You know? They weren't a faithful lover--or a kind one. But, I could tell them anything. I could tell them anything. I mean, it got old after a bit. It was more about who could hurt the other one more, rather than about anything constructive. It was about me hurting the words and them wording the hurt. After a while, there is only so much you can take."

She said, "Yeah . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . you want to go somewhere else after this drink? There is a live band down the street."

I said, "Yeah."

No comments: