Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Questions

Questions, I've got some questions
I want to know you
But what if I could ask you only one thing
Only this one time, what would you tell me?


Questions, of course I have questions. I want to know you. I want to know you so both of us can know ourselves. But, what if there is no time--what if I only have one chance? What if there is only one chance to ask you--about you? How would I know you? How would I know what to ask? I guess what I am asking (and this is already a question, so maybe it is already too late) how would I know how to know you?

Well maybe you could give me a suggestion
So I could know you, what would you tell me?
Maybe you could tell me what to ask you
Because then I'd know you, what would you tell me
Please tell me that there's time
To make this work for all intents and purposes
And what are your intentions, will you try?


Yes, maybe you could help me; maybe you could tell me how to know you. Is that cheating? Does that disqualify me? Does that mean the game is over before it has started?

Is it true? If you told me, would I know you? It seems like if I didn't already know what to ask, then you telling me wouldn't necessarily mean I would know you. It wouldn't mean I knew how to know you, either. Despite not knowing what question to ask, I already know the answer I want--the answer I want from any question: tell me there is time. Tell me there is time. For what? For knowing. Tell me there is time for knowing. Please.

Impressions, you've made impressions
They're going nowhere
They're just going to wait here if you let them
Please don't let them
I want to know you
And if they're going to haunt me
Please collect them
Please just collect them


Yes, you have made impressions. That's why I am asking in the first place; that is why--despite not knowing what to ask--I want time to figure it out. But, if there is not time for knowing maybe you should take those impressions back. Except, it is too late for that, isn't it? There is no collecting and there is no time. There are questions, hauntings, and . . .

And now I'm begging
I'm begging you to ask me just one question
One simple question
Because then you'd know me
I'll tell you that there's time
To make this work for all intents and purposes
At least for my own


Begging. Begging you for a question. Now I am begging you for a question and for an answer. It seems I am rather helpless. But, I do have an answer--at least one. There is time. Is there? Well, there is time to make it work--to make it work for my purposes, if not yours; if not ours.


What is a heart worth if it's just left all alone?
Leave it long enough and watch it turn into stone
Why must we always be untrue?


A heart left alone is akin to stone? Maybe. But, it isn't the fault of the questions. No, it is the fault of the heart. The questions come from a faulty heart--one that needs an answer in order to know.

You see--as the myth tells us--a heart doesn't need questions, and it certainly doesn't need answers. No, these have nothing to do with it.

It isn't a matter of questions or of answers.

It is a matter of just knowing.

No comments: