Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Episodes In, Out of but Never Outside of the Smoke Filled Coffee Shop: The Infinite Abyss

Refreshed a bit, I sauntered back to the smoke-filled coffee shop. I sat down in my usual wooden chair, picked up my pen and took a glance around. There was smoke in the air as usual, but something else--something strange.

After a bit, I began writing--thinking--trying--as usual. Swamped in the sea of smoke and text, I was uneasy. Something was happening around me, something unusual, but I couldn't figure out what.

And, then it happened. I saw them. All three, sitting in a corner laughing over nice cigars and espresso. I couldn't believe it, had they been there the whole time? What? How? Sat there, naturally, confidently, at ease--Zach Braff, Emmanuel Levinas and Nelson Mandela. How did this happen? Nervous now, butterflies everywhere, my mind was on skates and my thoughts shocked by my passive role--my nonintentional participation--in this event. It was like the Transfiguration in reverse. James and John were nowhere to be found, but these three sat before me aglow in dim light, smoke-filled air, and grateful laughter. Shocked I walked over and said, "It's good your here, can I get you a muffin?" They laughed quietly, smiled disarmingly, and Levinas told me to sit down with them. It was like a moment out of eternity or something. I don't know how long we sat and talked and laughed and discussed, but it felt so easy.

After some time, I was comfortable or at least at ease. I was curious as to why and how they were here, but I knew asking about such things would ruin it all. So, I asked, "What is it all of you see yourselves as trying to accomplish in this world?" Pretentious? Presumptuous? I don't know, but it seemed like a natural question at the time.

Braff jumped at the question, giving an immediate answer: "Well Onietzsche, I wrote and directed a movie once called Garden State," he said in a semi-cocked, Hollywood voice. A bit of strange tweak in his demeanor appeared, but nothing to prevent the conversation from going forward. He continued, "And if you remember, in a critical scene near the end of the movie my character wishes a man who lives on the edge of huge underground cave good luck in guarding the infinite abyss." I nodded in remembrance, trying to convey that I remembered the exact scene. "Well, the man then wishes my character good luck in doing the same, that is, in guarding the infinite abyss. Strange as it sounds, I see my role as an artist as just that--helping people to somehow understand what it means to guard the infinite abyss. After all, isn't that what it means to be human? Isn't each 'person' an infinite abyss to be respected, communicated, explored and finally appreciated."

Taken aback at the heaviness of his answer, I thought for a moment. Surreal--sitting here with these three and having the hollywood actor explain things this way. I thought maybe Mandela would be offended. I thought maybe Levinas would smirk in disapproval. I looked at both, and speechless, they both nodded as to say, "Me, too."

Strange.

1 comment:

AnOther said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.