Tuesday, December 11, 2007

A Place

I had a friend once, she said "why don't we go, somewhere only we know?" I didn't know what to say. Why? Well, for a couple of reasons. For one, I wouldn't know how to get to such a place. And, for two, if I did--would I want to go with her? I wasn't sure.

But, it is more tricky than it seems: It seems if you knew how to get to such a place--a place only we know--you'd want to go there with that person. But, it also means you have been there before (?), since only the two of you know about it.

When did you go? And how did you know how to get there? Much less both of you?

And, even worse: What if one of you thinks you went to such a place, and, wants to go back; but, you are pretty sure you've never been to such a place with them, and because of that fact, don't want to return, or go for the first time, rather?

And, one last problem: If one of you can imagine that the both of you have been to such a place, and be deceived in doing so, how is it that you--one or both--know when you will actually get there? Its a problem, because obviously no one else knows how to get there, and so any outside help is precluded from the beginning.

This was all a bit much, so she said, "This could be the end of everything."

And I said, "Yeah".

No comments: