Wednesday, June 27, 2007

My Friend

A friend of mine came into the smoke-filled coffee shop (By 'friend' I mean one of those people you like a fair amount, whom you spend time with out of convenience, and may or may not speak to when you are separated by long distance). I said, 'Whattup, what's goin on?' He said, 'Whattup, aint much.' 'Whatch you been gettin up to?' I replied profoundly. He said, 'Packin. I'm out. Goin somewhere new.' 'How's that?' I said, half-paying attention, half-winking at the cosmopolitan woman with the shine in the corner. Then he got all serious on me, 'Funny thing is I packed up my stuff the other day and it all fits in two boxes. Everything I own, sitting there in two medium-sized cardboard boxes. Clothes, Memories, Stuff.' Trying to pay attention now, 'Does that depress you, or does it make you proud of the way you live?' He took a sip and said reflectively, 'I don't know.' Strange.

No comments: