Thursday, September 14, 2006

Smiling, Italy and Pictures

I just returned from a romantic vacation/holiday in Italy with my brother. If you are looking for hte perfect person to enjoy some of the most romantic cities in the world with, take one of your siblings.

Thoughts:

1: Being on holiday I was reminded of an important maxim about photographs: When in a foreign country and in need of someone to take a photograph of you and your loved ones there are only two types of people to ask: The old and the Japanese (old and Japanese is really best). Being 50% Japanese (and remember people we round up) I am allowed to say that there is simply no doubt we take the best pictures. It is a gift. Some people groups are gifted at war, some at poetry, others industry--we take pictures and we are damn good. Old people are good too--hospitable, careful, usually sweet--but simply not as gifted as the Japanese and will probably want to chat afterwards (where you from? what have you done? bla, bla, bla).

2: Sticking to photos: Living in England, many people have asked about the American obsession with teeth. It is plain and simple--smiling, and smiling big, is mandatory for pictures. There is no one better in the world at convincing themselves they are having fun than Americans. Thus, picture=enormous, teeth-bearing grin. A crooked set of teeth can't possibly survive amidst this type of pressure.

3: After traveling this summer I have realized that Australians are the cheerleaders of Europe. They come over, travel, smile, laugh, and drink. They are the perpetually excited, always lovable dog that meets you at the door on bad days and cheers you up simply by being so extravagantly enthusiastic. I think they were put on the earth to remind grumpy Europeans that holiday is fun and smiling is okay.

4. Rome is alot like adolescence--everyone is sweaty, smells funky, and there are alot bad haircuts.

5. I am pretty sure if I were an uber-rich teenager I would demand my parents rent the Colliseum for my sweet 16 birthday party. Togas, Roman soldiers, wild beasts--the costume ideas are endless. And, what a dance floor! Could anyone top that? I don't think so.

6. Venice--beautiful, unique, like no place on earth. 3000 canals, water taxis, etc. Could we get just one waterslide? Maybe a wavepool or two? I don't know who is in charge over at the Italian tourist board, but if you want to increase tourist revenue I have one word: "waterpark". Did you see Waterworld? Enough said.



Keep it real,

1 comment:

Chris said...

Forget filth, let's go to the colliseum, woot!

If that doesn't strike your fancy, I know a gay club in Moscow we could hit up (I'll tell you more when I get back)